In fact, we (I) shouldn't be scared to claim that we love ourselves, because that's really what God intended.
The fruit of loving oneself is a healthier lifestyle, understanding you are loved by God, being able to love your neighbor (as yourself). I don't really think you can learn to love another human being if you don't in fact love yourself. And I've known for a while God loves me, people care about me, and that I matter. But to truly love yourself you allow yourself to experience grace, to encourage yourself toward growth, and if you are caring for yourself you can care for others. A sick soul cannot make another well. The remedy for sickness is love! I love in the psalms when David is like "why are you downcast, o my soul?" He's encouraging himself!
I've noticed loving myself lets me live in the moment, and I don't really think you can experience His presence except in the present. Because we aren't to worry about tomorrow, and he's freed us from past shame so focus on him is in the moment, because he gives you just the right amount of grace for each moment, you don't get tomorrow's grace until tomorrow. When you are secure in yourself, you are then comfortable to exist in the moment.
Tell yourself you love yourself! Care for yourself, it is not selfish, it is essential to do the work God has placed before you. If we want to be on the same team as God (thank you Lord for making that possible) you have to come into agreement with him on who you are in him. I think saying "I love myself" is telling God I accept how you've made me and protects you from the enemy trying to beat you down.
So pray that: people love themselves, and make time to refresh their own souls. Encourage each other toward love for others but within as well. Let's scream "I love myself!" Because any thoughts that oppose that are not what God intended. Healthy people see their worth and don't seek it in anyone else. Healthy people who know their worth let others know of their worth too. We should know that God works in and then out. He works within the church and they (hopefully) outpour into their city. God works in you and you can outpour into others.
"Whoever has sense loves his own soul; he who keeps understanding will discover good." - Proverbs 19:8
"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God has prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." - Ephesians 2:10
"For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body." - Ephesians 5:29-30
You are kinda smart. And a blessing.
ReplyDeleteBen