1) When doing research, especially on religion, check the sources. Make sure you know the point of view, potential bias, and the context of anything they may reference. For example, if an article quotes a religious text, figure out what surrounds it. Anything can be manipulated to support someone's argument, and as a result distort truth.
2) Talk to people about doubt. Most of the people I've included in this journey with me have had similar questions and experiences with doubt. There's so much to learn from the people around you, how they think through those questions that give you a headache, and how they come to the other side of it, either choosing to believe in God or not.
3) Be patient with it. This isn't something that can be "handled" overnight. Doubt takes time. It's not a waste of time. And as unsatisfying as it is to not have all the answers, I've learned a lot about myself and the concept of faith by not being sure all the time.
4) I am not entitled to any answers. Just because I want to know doesn't mean I get to. No God is required to answer my questions, and I don't deserve explanations. Humility when facing the concept of a deity is extremely important to the process. Most of the time, expecting answers or trying to have power or control over the results of a god is the very thing separating you from it. Sometimes surrendering what you have to open your mind to discover what you don't have is all that we can do.
5) Don't discredit your subjectivity. Being objective about God only goes so far. You can find any arguments to support what you want to believe. What do you want to believe? And why? What's your hesitation? Allow questions like that to surface. I have learned who I am, and where and why I feel vulnerable. For example, relationships scare me. So what? They scare everyone, because it requires some kind of vulnerability. Community around the topic of God has always been stressed to me as important, but it is what I am most willing to avoid. So, I am avoiding vulnerability with not only community, but this God idea/person. I mentioned in my last post the questions often become answers themselves. Be okay with that.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how to doubt!
5) Don't discredit your subjectivity. Being objective about God only goes so far. You can find any arguments to support what you want to believe. What do you want to believe? And why? What's your hesitation? Allow questions like that to surface. I have learned who I am, and where and why I feel vulnerable. For example, relationships scare me. So what? They scare everyone, because it requires some kind of vulnerability. Community around the topic of God has always been stressed to me as important, but it is what I am most willing to avoid. So, I am avoiding vulnerability with not only community, but this God idea/person. I mentioned in my last post the questions often become answers themselves. Be okay with that.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how to doubt!
No comments:
Post a Comment