"For we are God's workmanship, created in Jesus Christ for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:10
Since I've been in Arizona, I've done a bunch of new things I never thought I would. I'm running the coffee shop by myself on some days, I got my Zumba instructor license so I can teach Zumba classes, and much more. But those two things stick out in particular because they've taught me similar things.
I may not feel like I'm good enough to run the coffee shop or believe I'm good enough to lead a Zumba class, but who cares! It's whether or not I trust and believe that God has equipped me for every good work, like He's promised.
We're so funny in the fact one day we obey God and have a great outcome and the next day when faced with a decision to listen to Him or not, we are suddenly filled with all this fear and doubt and uncertainty of how it'll go, when yesterday and the day before and the years before have always proved to be good! I don't know about you, but I would hate to look back on my last day and regret all the times unbelief had stopped me from doing everything I wanted to accomplish.
Becoming an instructor is something I've been wanting to do, but the training taught me more than salsa and merengue, it showed me how to jump all in with no reserves.
However, preparation is important. What kind of Zumba instructor would I be if I go to teach my first class unprepared, never listened to the songs, never practiced steps beyond my first training...it wouldn't be pretty. Or if I worked at the coffee shop alone with no training or knowledge of what's on the menu. I think that's why set comes after ready.
We decide that whether we feel ready or not we are in fact ready, because God says so, and then we set ourselves up for success by planning ahead ("prepare your work outside; get everything ready for yourself in the field, and AFTER that build your house" Proverbs 24:17). Plans aren't bad, and can be "spirit-led"
Setting up for success could look different depending on what the goal is. Sometimes it's getting rid of something we know isn't good in our lives we've been clinging on to. We aren't ready to let that go, but we know we need to. So, set yourself up, or guard yourself, so that you can eliminate it from your life. Regardless of the change, the prep should always include praying, knowing the Word and scriptures to get you through doubts and understanding what God's will is for His people, and educating yourself on what you are doing!
And what I've learned, no matter how much prep work I do, I won't feel completely ready, or set, but the next step is still coming and that's to go! Go in confidence of who God is, who he made you to be, and what you're capable of! As James 2:18 says, "...I will show you my faith BY works" so by doing things, stepping out in faith when you don't have it all figured out, you're setting yourself up to be blown away by God, and it's exciting. Whoever said living the Christian life is boring is doing it wrong. It always will appear to be risky stepping out in faith, but it is so safe and secure. That's the paradox of our God!
Anything you do in His name and for Him won't go in vain (1 Corinthians 15:58). So our Go may not look like we planned it to, but does God's plans happen like we want them to? For me, usually not. They're better than I could dream of, but in the moment when my plan isn't working and God's doing something different, I panic and feel like all my prep went out the window!
I don't like saying this because I feel like it's cheesy, but "let go and let God" let the go-ing happen and God will move too! Although he can, God won't move a parked car. Rarely will he give a couch potato a CEO position dropped in his lap...NO! You are equipped with working body parts, an incredible brain, and a heavenly army on your side. Use 'em! You think you're still not ready? Let Him prove you wrong. He proves my doubts and hesitations wrong on the daily, and I want the same for you!
"May he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen." - Hebrews 13:21
So good!
ReplyDeleteGreat encouragement Shannon. I felt the same way the first time I led a home group.I didn't think I had enough Bible knowledge....I wasn't sure I could help blend the many personalities.....would I be capable of facing the tough conversations.....the list could have gone on and on. I chose to place doubt at the feet of Jesus.I simply said yes. I made some mistakes but the Holy Spirit grew me through them. I guess it's the learn as you grow plan.
ReplyDelete