Thursday, December 10, 2015

Expectations

My expectations will be the death of me I'm pretty sure. In the midst of trying to enjoy my last week I'm caught up in the expectations of ending this week perfect, of being perfect, and going home better than when I left. But Shannon, I have to remind myself, you're not perfect and no one expects you to be (which was a lesson I learned at the beginning of this experience).

I'm in an exciting time in my life, lots of good changes and experiences and opportunities are at my feet and I'm so incredibly thankful. And I try to be happy all of the time, but the reality is change is scary...it's hard. It is all really great things but it's a lot of transition for anyone to go through...living in Arizona, going home to family and friends I haven't seen in 4 months, and starting college in North Carolina just three weeks later...it's a lot. And I'm nervous. As I should be. But God is good and gives me so much peace. As scary as my next steps look, I haven't really experienced God's peace and faithfulness as much as I have in this time. I get to relax, and watch this life I so don't deserve just unfold before me, and I get to be apart of it. I get to be scared, knowing who my Comforter is. I get to have nerves, knowing His peace transcends all understanding. I get to feel a million ambivalent feelings and not be shaken because I have a Rock stronger and more secure than my feelings. 

What I can expect, is to walk through this transition period with Jesus by my side, and letting me know it is ok and He is guiding me. I can expect to feel overwhelmed with my feelings and then with His unending love. I can expect to change as a person, and grow as a follower of Christ in a time that takes a lot of faith. And I can expect his promises to be true when I don't feel like they are. 

So if I could ask for prayer in this transition time, I am need of keeping my eyes on Jesus when there are a lot of distractions surrounding me, to renew my mind in His truth instead of setting my own, and to choose joy and love instead of fear. Thanks!!

1 comment: