Thursday, December 3, 2015

Let There Be Light(s)

God commanded in the beginning let there be light... And after Jesus died for us, and we could have Him in us, God allowed there to be light(s) in every one of us. So pretty much God's awesome and wants to use us, and I wanna be used by him, don't you? It's not just used for big mission trips and going to the ends of the earth...it's little acts of love that are light, and have a ripple effect beyond what we can see.

I so badly just want to be a light where it's never been brought before.... Thank you Amadeo for reminding me of what my purpose is. In all I do, whether it be making coffee for people I've never met and starting their day of with a conversation that will hopefully leave a positive impression on them. Or when I go to college and make friends who are coming from terrible situations and need a shoulder to cry on, I am fortunate to have two shoulders to offer! Or with my future career. That's why I want to go into social work. The places where people have turned a blind eye are the places where I want to highlight brokenness, because that's where we can find a hope that isn't from us. I want the forgotten to know they are not forsaken, I want the empty to know wholeness is possible. 

Shelly gave me wise advice to take every day like a new adventure, and I want to do just that. Whether my light is flickering or growing strong, it will be used each day to bring warmth where it is cold, bring a smile to tear stained faces, bring Good News that didn't make the newspaper but is changing the world every day. 

I don't know what each day holds, and I don't want to. What's the fun in that?? I just know that my light isn't meant to be hidden, and neither is yours. You can have a candle and matches, but someone's gotta light the flame and use it. All I know from my long 18 years of life is that not using your light is never a fulfilling life. In Philemon we're told to "be active in sharing your faith so that you know every good thing you have in Jesus Christ." I'm pretty sure I only know the surface of all the good things I have in being a child of God, and I wanna know more of his power in me...don't you? Like that's the coolest opportunity we could be given. 

And I don't know about you, but when I see someone else's light, it's pretty obvious. I see people at Amadeo being a light all the time...I want to point out Doni Nickerson in particular. I've had the pleasure of working with her at restore every Tuesday and those are my long days. I come to the food pantry tired and worn...and then Doni comes in and lights up the whole room with her warm smile and contagious laugh. She could be in terrible pain and still infecting us with her light in hugs and words of encouragement. That is light, and love. 

Make a conscious effort to be a light, because man that has the power to change not only your life but the people around you. 

Please comment with how you are using your light, I'd love to hear testimonies of how God is shining in and through you!

    Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment