There are a lot of non profits who do a lot of good for people, but not in the name of Jesus.
There are people who know the gospel backwards and forwards, but don't know Jesus.
There are theologians and skeptics who know the bible and hunger to read it more than many believers do, but aren't saved by grace.
So what makes people who claim to be in Jesus different from people who have the same knowledge and serve others?
The heart.
It's that simple and that's why so many miss it.
I know Christians like myself who pride themselves on how well they serve or how eloquently they can share the gospel, but scripture suggests a different approach to walking in the spirit.
Take David, for example. I had a hard time understanding why he was "a man after God's own heart" when he wasn't following the Law perfectly, he murdered people, had an affair...made all sorts of mistakes in action and thought. He wasn't doing good things. But he knew who had authority and although he was king, he understood who he reported to. He came to terms with his own weakness, his faults and poor judgments and was quick to confess them to the Lord. Even when he was in the depths of his sins, he knew God would hear his cry, and that God could love him. He didn't need to prove himself to God or others because he understood who God was, and is. He was after God's heart with his own. Not seeking God's approval, but his mercy and grace.
Paul says in the New Testament,
"When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." -1 Corinthians 2:1-5
Like David, Paul understood his weakness and his need, as well as others need for God's power. Knowing Jesus is never fulfilling on wisdom alone. It's through love; understanding God's absolute, unshakeable love for you, and choosing to love him from the heart. Serving people in the name of Jesus, as churches do, should come after vulnerability before God and coming to terms with your weakness, and God's love and grace in that. Too often service and reading the bible and all the things we're supposed to do come before the heart, or dare I say in place of the heart, and we miss the fullness of a relationship with Jesus.
Some of the most faithful followers of Jesus I know don't have the ability to serve God with their hands, or read his word through blind eyes... So does God not love them? No! I believe Jesus would say they are more blessed than the fully able, and greater in the kingdom.
So are you serving with your hands or your heart? Are you learning with your mind or your heart?
Thank you Lord for showing me the difference and I pray for grace and mercy as I, along with other believers, learn to serve you from understanding your abilities instead of proving our own.
No comments:
Post a Comment